I'm not quite sure how to phrase what has been on my mind lately. So this is as close as I can get right now.
1. I try so very very hard to be open minded and mindful of how words have power, how you phrase things can matter.
2. I also realize that funny things are funny, and you can't always control what makes you laugh. But I can control my exposure to things, and eventually I can control my reactions to things.
3. Watching the NSFW show (a podcast on the TWiT network)
makes me laugh like crazy. Listening to the Weird things TV podcast
makes me laugh as well.
4. Some of the things said on NSFW and Weird things probably should offend me, I know for a fact that I know people who would be highly offended and start whipping out words like racist, sexist, anti-gay ant-God, etc. They would also find things wrong with it that I don't and probably start throwing around words like privilege, cissexism, and sizeism,
5. 99% of those words don't really describe them I think. Because other times they condemn racism, homophobia, and sexism.
6. I don't know how I feel about the fact that I laugh and have a good time listening to Weird Things and the NSFW Show knowing that they on many occasions will say insensitive, inappropriate, and irreverent (I'm all about the alliteration apparently) things.
7. I have had this issue many times with other media as well. Some I just cut out of my life, extremely violent movies for example. Others I walk a fine line where I will watch some episodes and not others. Some I"m oddly drawn to even though I disagree with them. I heart Julia Sweeny's monologues (including the Letting Go of God one).
8. I really haven't reached any conclusion about this. But its been bouncing around my head for awhile.